Gini Wijnaldum is edging closer to the exit door at Liverpool as his contract winds down. Barcelona were linked with moves for Wijnaldum in the recently closed summer transfer window but the move never materialised. The report says they could return for him in January.
Despite holding positive talks with Liverpool last month, the 29-year-old is still yet to put pen to paper on a new contract, with his current deal set to expire in June.
The LaLiga giants made an £88million loss this year and are keen to pursue deals for the pair on the cheap as part of Koeman’s rebuild plans, according to the Mirror. He benched for Saturday’s Premier League 2-2 draw with Everton.
According to a report in the Mirror [via Daily Mail], the Blaugrana are keen to pursue a move for the Liverpool midfielder on the cheap as part of Ronald Koeman’s plans to rebuild the LaLiga side.
The Mirror says while an injury to Thiago in the dying minutes may offer Wijnaldum an immediate return to the side for Wednesday’s meeting with Ajax, Klopp’s stance will certainly have planted a seed of doubt in his mind.
The decision now resting with him is whether he feels he sees his future elsewhere.
All this is against a backdrop of Wijnaldum’s former Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman admitting publicly he wants the midfielder to join him at Barcelona in January.
‘I wanted to bring him here in the summer because he has the ability to make fantastic runs from midfield and turn up in the box at the right moments.
‘I am convinced he can really add something to the team. But the financial situation of Barcelona was known at his club.