Borussia Dortmund chief Michael Zorc has told Manchester United to forget about signing Jadon Sancho this summer. United have been in hot pursuit of the England star and were still hopeful of getting a mega-money deal over the line despite missing Dortmund’s deadline to sign him today.
The England international – who is valued by his club at £108m has travelled with the Dortmund squad for their pre-season training camp in Switzerland. And on Monday, Dortmund chief Zorc insisted United have no chance of signing Sancho now.
Zorc said: “We plan with Jadon Sancho. He’ll play for us next season. The decision is final. I think that answers all of the questions.”
“Last summer, we adjusted Jadon’s salary to match the development of his performances. So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then.”
United are keen to strengthen the right-hand side of their attack this summer, but with financial uncertainty due to the implications of Covid-19, the club are not willing to pay over the odds for any transfer.
United were always prepared to walk away from the deal and pursue other targets if a price could not be agreed upon, one of which is Bayern Munich winger Kingsley Coman.
Dortmund set their unofficial deadline of August 10 on the deal, and have been insistent that if that date did not confirm a transfer, then Sancho would be staying. It is understood United were not willing to be bound by the “unrealistic” deadline and were not rushing to get the deal done by that date.
It is also understood that Sancho, who has spent the past two years in the Bundesliga, wants a move to Old Trafford, and the latest comments from Zorc show he will have to force a transfer through if he wants to make the switch back to England.
United have yet to conclude any business in the summer transfer window but are understood to have plans for at least a couple of deals before it shuts in October.
Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke has been resolute in holding out for €120m fee for the England international, while United are refusing to go higher than €80m.